1) Describe the origins of the Civil War. What were the primary causes of the war? What were the key social and economic differences between northern and southern states?
2) How did the Civil War affect African-Americans. How did it affect women? How might those experiences have differed depending on whether they were in the North or the South? What might be some similarities?
3) Why were the Union victories at Gettysburg, PA (July 1-3), and Vicksburg, MS (surrendered on July 4), in 1863 important to the Union’s war effort?
4) What major factors led to the Union’s victory over the Confederacy?
5) What happened in the immediate aftermath of the war?
6) Describe Reconstruction. What was it? Who was for it? Who was against it? Did it work?
7) Are we still dealing with the aftermath of the Civil War today? How so?